Sunday, October 10, 2021

Spray Away

 

Well, I actually tried out Christa Watson's spray basting on a table method. I didn't take any in-process pics as I was otherwise occupied and rather sticky-fingered. These pictures were taken before I ironed the quilt sandwich, so it's even flatter now.

 It seemed to work out really well. The spray went on smoothly without blobs and was fairly easy to see where more was needed as long as you were quick enough. The smell of it didn't bother me at all which was a relief, I tried it masked with an N-95 at first, but then removed the mask to take a phone call while I continued spraying and realized it wasn't too bad as I was spraying out doors. I used the Odif 505 spray.
The only part I had any trouble with was folding the pieces up to carry them back up to my studio, then it was a little hard to get them unstuck and apart from themselves. I pinned the backing up on the design wall and the batting stuck just fine without ironing. Then the top stuck just fine to the batting. Now that it's been ironed on both sides, I'm finally ready to try quilting this thing. Hopefully the stick-i-ness doesn't bother the quilting process or gunk up the needle.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Can't wait to hear how it works. Good for you for trying a new method! Way better than hands and knees.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

So much better than hands and knees. Still just as aerobic though!