Tuesday, October 19, 2021

In Remembrance: Linda Hewitt



I finished my Remembrance Project block for the Social Justice Sewing Academy. For some reason I thought I took a picture of the final final form, but alas, I didn't. This is pretty close though and it will have to do as I've mailed it off to them. 

Here's what I wrote about the person the block is made to honor:

Linda Hewitt was a twenty-eight year old woman, who was murdered in San Diego, California in 1978. She is included along with 507 others on the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls list. 
Linda worked as a babysitter for two school age children and was raising her infant son on her own. 
She died bravely defending her baby from her killer. Nothing more was available on her life, although the details of her death and her killer were well covered in the press. Unfortunately she died in an era where the identity and life of the victim wasn't considered newsworthy. Evidence obtained at the crime scene of her death was key to convicting the serial killer who is still serving several life sentences. 

Rest In Power, Linda Hewitt

 A few details about the making of the block. I was really pleased with how the letters turned out in the end.

I used a pretty tight zig-zag stitch on the edges even though they were also attached with fusible. Just in case, as these blocks get displayed and handled quite a bit.
I couched the braided blue yarns in a double spiral on the lower blue part. That's what I don't have a picture of, it blended in pretty nicely and wasn't too crazy of a contrast.



 

No comments: