Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Start On The Coat


After sewing together my muslin pattern pieces to make sure it fit me (yes!) and then un-sewing it, I wasn't sure where to start with designing my coat. I flipped through the idea booklet I'd bought from RDKC and settled on making a pieced braid of some sort or other.

I chose from my big stack of fabrics and cut out some strips, .75" and 1.5"
I think that these pieced sections might go on the sleeves of my coat. This is how it looks on the muslin sleeve piece. It's about the right size and shape for that area. There's a sleeve dart at the top, so I'd start it right below that spot.

That's all tbd of course at the moment as I begin working on filling out my design. 

I had fun making them a bit random, and the one variegated grey to black fabric really helped with that.

I guess this is how it'll look once it's sewn in with coping strips.


2 comments:

Jaye said...

Great idea!! I am guessing it is foundation piecing on the muslin. Hope you are enjoying the process.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Yes, kind of, you assemble pieced pieces like these above, and then flip and sew them onto the musing coat pieces, and then there's a lining to cover it up on the inside.