Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tumbler Plans

Even more charms for my tumbler charm quilt that I'm ever so slowly assembling. These are from my generous and industrious friend Jaye. Thanks Jaye, guess I better get sewing these together.
I think once I do that I'll be pretty darned close to having enough for the king-sized tumbler quilt I'm planning on. But I won't know that until I'm done sewing all those rows together and do some measuring. There are still quite a few of my fabric boxes that I haven't gone through a cut a shape out of each fabric. Luckily as I've been going along with this project I've been noting which boxes have been mined for tumblers.

Also, I have to figure out how I'm going to deal with the irregular edges along two of the four sides of the quilt top. Some sort of long triangle will work, I guess. Because I most certainly am *not* going to be doing an irregular binding, not me, no way, no how. Not on something this big, and that will be intended for being washable many times. Also, what color or colors will I chose for this evening-up triangle, hmmm, scrappy? a single color?

These long-term projects are fun to come back to over the years. Good thing I'm not in any hurry.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Glad you are working on this! Some projects take time. I am glad to be able to contribute!

Take a look at how I solved the Eye spy irregular edge problem. I didn't want to slice off half of the hexagons to make a straight edge. It just didn't seem right to me. I know that putting on the triangle/half diamond shapes was kind of a pain and definitely did not save fabric, but the outcome is great. I am really pleased with that quilt. If you decide to do an irregular binding, I will sew it on for you.

Laume said...

You can never go wrong with black to "corral" in all those charms.