"All" that I needed to do was
- put it on the futon
- determine how much of an overlap I'd left myself for the closure in actuality as opposed to my measurements (which are always always always off)
- take it off the futon
- put in the closure
- and then put the cover back on the futon.
Oh yeah, that's why I put it off, the wrestling with a queen sized futon bit. The way my arms have been lately, as well as my energy level, I just honestly wasn't up for it. So I picked a day that my husband was home. We've been wrestling with futon covers for most of our time together, so we're quite a team. He did most of the heavy lifting, wrassling part. And then lickety split I got that velcro closure in. The failure of the last purchased cover was the gigantic zipper. It basically just broke, like the teeth fell out in one part. So I thought I'd innovate and use an enormous swath of tan velcro along one end. It worked out well, and I like how it looks. Plus it is nice to have in the living room, instead of the uncovered look.
I bought the fabric at Hart's Fabric in Santa Cruz in the upholstery remnant section, it was a steal if I recall at like 60% off, about $50. Way cheaper than buying a nice futon cover, not counting all the extra futon wrangling that went on. It is a really heavyweight fabric, and I used upholstery thread with a bigger eye needle in the machine to make it through all the layers. There is some left over, so perhaps some pillow will be happening...