Thursday, May 31, 2007

Treasure Found

I'm still sorting through my many boxes of mixed-up and jumbled fabrics. Two of the big trunk-sized containers are from my grandma's stash. Quite a bit of it is table linens. Don't know if I can take the step of using those (dyed vintage linens are so beautiful!) in anything. Maybe I'll just wash them and stick them in the china cabinet for when we have a really fancy dinner.
Besides the table linens there is a lot of silk and upholstery fabrics. She (and my Col. granfather and mom and aunt), lived in post-war Japan for a while, and there are a lot of treasures that I've been holding onto.

First up is this upholstery fabric, isn't it gorgeous? A nice heavy weight, and I just love how the "wrong" side looks. If those horizontal threads weren't kinda loose, I'd use that as a contrast look. I'm thinking there is enough for a cropped jacket. If not, pillows I suppose.

Here are several silks, one has stripes, but they all three go together quite well. I'm considering a rustly skirt. You know one of those skirts that you would hear your mom coming down the hall in, and then the babysitter would show up, and your parents would go out to a party.

Lastly, here is a very thick silk panel. I'm thinking of just arranging a hanging device and sticking it up on the wall. It is almost too beautiful to cut up or do anything with. I may have to cut it along that fold though, as it has been folded up for a very long time and may be permanent. If I use it for anything, I'll be sure to share it with you.

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

As rare as it happened, I remember how my own mother sounded "dressed up". Add heels clicking and the "snop" of the velvet handbag closure.

I'm so glad you are going to use the fabric and bring them fully alive.