Friday, April 01, 2011

Making Do With Dots

 Happy April!  Way back in March, well two days ago I showed the process of making this dotted fabric.  I thought you might like to see what I made with it eventually.  This time around it turned out to be a few ATC's for possible inclusion in CQFA's show at the San Francisco Public Library - Primal Green.
First I sandwiched the fabric with batting and backing and planned out how  I would stitch this up.  I decided I didn't want the stitches crossing over the dots, so I settled on a grid with a bright green thread.
 After all the stitching was done, time to slice these up into the official ATC size (2.5"x3.5").  It was hard to choose how to select the direction and color combinations I wanted for each individual ATC.  But  I dove in and started cutting.
 I zig-zag stitched twice around the edge of the first one with the same bright green I'd used for the quilting, but I didn't really like how the color looked with the fabric design.  I switched over to a more khaki green and liked that better.  I also decided I didn't like those big white dots anymore when seen at this smaller ATC size, so I rubber stamped in a small leaf shape into each dot.  Stamping on a quilted surface doesn't make a very clear image unfortunately so you can't really tell that it is a leaf.  But I know it is, and these ATC's were supposed to be environmentally  related somehow.
 Here's how all four turned out, you can see I went with a terracotta ink for most of the stamping.  I thought that somewhat muted color went really well with the rest of the colors already involved.  And yes one of these ATC's is decidedly smaller than the others, must have been because I was paying more attention to fussy cutting to make the fabric look good than getting the exactly correct measurement, oops.
And now some gratuitous gigantic closeups of the individuals.

 One of these did end up in the show, which I hope you can go see if you're near San Francisco.   There is a really nice display of many ATC's from CQFA in addition to a rather fabulous quilt exhibit.

Made any ATC's lately?

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Fabulous! The fabric turned out really well, but I love the way you stitched them.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks Jaye! I really liked what the stitching added too. Guess that's why we're quilters eh?