Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winter Solstice

Happy Winter Solstice to All!

Here is a small piece I made for a Secret Sister Solstice exchange. It is about 6x8" , raw edge applique with cotton and satin, and is edged with fuzzy yarns.

Thanks to Waverly Fitzgerald's always lovely and informative, free Living in Season Newsletter I was led to a wonderful Solstice poem written by Susan Cooper (author of the Dark is Rising sequence), titled "The Shortest Day." Try reading it out loud. Ooooh chills up the spine.

Today is the day I give my family their solstice gifts, and we'll eat a solstice sun cake for dessert, I think we may even set it on fire with brandy just for excitement. We will turn out all the lights, light the Yule log and think on the year past and the year ahead. Guess I better go finish making the gifts and cook a cake! My husband gave us our solstice gift last night, SERENITY!

4 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

Thanks so much for reminding me - I am sick in bed with a cold so I sent my son out to find a log for the fire later tonight.

Anonymous said...

Happy Solstice!
It is so great to read about folks honoring solstice!

Karoda said...

your quilt reminds me that indeed the days will get longer and the season shall come to pass.

Elle said...

I really like the idea of celebrating the solstice.