Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Final Corpse

A fifth and final Exquisite Corpse has arrived home out of our group, so here is the story of how I finished this one off. Here is what the piece looked like when it arrived, almost a cool look just like that, based on the interesting covering-up fabrics the other artists had used. The background fabric is a Crate&Barrel table runner out of a heavy cotton toweling. I was last up, so I got to do legs and feet.
There was a border of a fancy kind of sheer/silky fabric and vertical beading as my clue at the uncovered edge. Obviously the bottom of a skirt right? I placed two pieces of lace to bring the kind of harsh stripes to the background and then some satin for legs and metallic shot cotton for shoes. I thought that fancy fabrics were warranted based on the clue I had going, this figure was obviously "dressed up".
I used Steam a Seam to fuse the shapes down then did a satin stitch around the shapes. I was going for a " kicking up her heels and dancing" kind of look to what the legs and feet were doing.
I thought the shoes needed a bit more of something, so I used a couple of heart charms anchored down with some white glass beads.
The green looked good with the green of the background.

Here's a closer look at one of the feet.

And then I added the word "heart" as the final step.

For more on the Exquisite Corpse project be sure and check out our group blog where more of these great projects can be seen.

1 comment:

dejavucreations said...

What a delight to read about your "undertaking" on my exquisite corpse. Thank you for the wonderful job you did finishing it off.