Thursday, April 03, 2008

Justice Overwhelmed

Here is a quilt I made recently, called "Justice Overwhelmed". I made it for the International Fiber Collaborative, a project to cover an abandoned gas station with fiber artworks. We were supposed to "express their concerns about their countries extreme dependency on oil for energy."

There are tons of pictures of submissions from all over the world (I'm on page two). The gas station is located in Syracuse, NY, and there is an opening reception in May, I hope if you live nearby you can go check it out. I can't wait to see the pictures of how the gas station looks when it is recovered.
Here is a closeup, showing the image of my original quilt "Justice" which I produced at the beginning of this endless pointless war back in 2003. A main part of the imagery dealt with oil and $$$, so I wanted to re-visit my original piece and see what else I had to say on this subject.

It seemed to me that we have come some many steps further down the road towards the death and destruction of our country, culture and world that Justice is indeed in an Overwhelmed state, all in the pursuit of securing our access to oil.

I'm re-reading what I wrote on the back of the original Justice quilt and I'm struck by how sad I am that I was right. I really truly wish I had been wrong about the war. That it turned out to be quick, easy, painless, and successful as was promised. I'm sad, but I'm not at all surprised.

No comments: