Thursday, September 03, 2009

Late Summer Garden

Out in the garden in this late, hot summer, there are many many blossoms on the pumpkins and gourds that I planted. And a whole lot of bees. Like 5, in one blossom?!
Only have one pumpkin growing (that I've spotted) so far, and I think this is from the giant variety that we planted. Hard to tell exactly as all the pumkin vines are kaboobled up.

One of the birdhouse gourds is growing, it is even changing color which is pretty.

And I see lots of artichokes on the horizon. The first ones I've gotten in years. Guess that regular watering really does work (duh!). We are eating these tonight.

2 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I am sooooo jealous! First, the pumpkin blossoms as I love to fry those and have not had them in years and then the mass of artichokes!!!!
Tried growing them here one year.
A large mistake.....they, too, obviously prefer CA! (smart plant!)
Love the pics!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I've never tried fried pumpkin blossoms, are they hard to make? since the bees don't seem to be doing much as far as pollinating, just taking the pollen and runnin'! The artichokes definitely do love the area of CA where I am, they need the heat and the ocean fog.