Friday, April 04, 2008

Sixteen Absurd Suns

I got sun burned on our recent beach camping trip. And now that my face is done peeling, I'm left with that first blush of tan for the year. I keep seeing myself in the mirror and wondering why I look healthier. Isn't that funny how tan=healthy in our minds? And knowing what we know about skin cancer tan is the opposite of healthy, right?! Absurd!


I of course know that sunburn and tanning is exactly the wrong thing I should be doing with my skin, especially at this age. But I live in California, this is how I've been conditioned by my fellow traveler's here in this very sunny state. I have the example of my mother who has religiously applied sunscreen for as long as I can remember (I guess 30 years!) and her skin looks wonderful (not just for her age, but for any woman over say 40). So I know I should apply sunscreen. And usually when I know I'm going to be out in the sun for a while, I do manage to remember to do this crucial step. But I don't use it every day like I'm supposed to.
But I worry about the interaction of the medications I'm on, with the acne skin stuff I use, and the sunscreen. I don't know why, but I do. Something I read somewhere lodged in the worry section of my brain (which seems to be getting larger every damn year) and now I wonder/worry/fret about that. Which may lead to me not using sunscreen as consistently as I should. Absurd!
And yes skin cancer does "run in my family". So I really should get over my sunscreen worry right? Or at least wear a hat more frequently. I'll try really I will, I promise, just as soon as I get a bit more of a tan this year. Absurd!
So here is my self portrait for the month of absurdity on selfportrait challenge, considering the absolute absurdity of simultaneous sun worshipping, tan coveting, skin cancer fearing, acne product using, sun bleached hair loving, outdoors living, sunscreen toxicity worrying, vitamin D needing.

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

Ouch! With another snowfall here, I can't imagine getting sunburned but I remember the pain. I hope it recovers soon for you.

Yes, it can be bright and warm and still have darkness lingering, I hope you had a good candlelighting last night!