Monday, November 16, 2020

Safe At Home Visual Decision Making

 


Here's how the final row in the Safe at Home quilt looks as originally designed with the rest of the rows all sewn together.
I really dislike the solid stripe of yellow, and the absence of the background as in all the other blocks. It looks like it belongs on another quilt except for the same colors/fabrics.

Turning some of the orientation of the blocks helps a little, breaking up that big yellow line is better. 
But it's still missing the grey background.



Adding a bar of grey and reorienting the blocks to have the purple which is a thinner rectangle helps.

But it's still just too much yellow. Adding in some more grey instead of the final yellow logs in the block might work. I still haven't decided. Maybe I'll take one block out and frame them in grey if I can work the math out. Or maybe I'll just make a different block altogether... It is my quilt after all, right?



2 comments:

Jaye said...

I agree that the log cabins don't fit in. Your points are all good. I was thinking that there wasn't enough air in those log cabins.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I'm considering making another row of blocks entirely and just putting the log cabins on the back. It's an interesting thing to notice that you need to pay attention to the balance of block types and background fabrics in row quilt designs. I haven't designed a row quilt myself so I'm glad I learned this.