Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Wide Back

I haven't used 108" wide backing fabric before, but I'm going to give it a go on the next two big quilts that I make. The main reason for using this is for convenience and speed, piecing the back for a large quilt takes me quite a long time. I suppose that it'll also make it a bit smoother on the back of the quilt, because it won't have all those seam lines from piecing the back?

MassDrop switched away from carrying quilting stuff and they had these for a good price in their warehouse. I bought two and one of them is a much lighter grey than the other. The fabric feels like its good quality. Studio E has a whole line of 108"wide fabric.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I have never tried the wide back, but slogging through the making of backs makes me want to. I am just too lazy and too cheap to seek out good widebacks and then pay for them when I have perfectly good fabric in my stash.

Gretchen F said...

I have a collection of wide backs. Coming from hand quilting, it’s better not to have extra seams to sew through. I have several of these Studio E backs in various colors. I also bought several from Massdrop. These days I look for good sales from fabric stores although I have a nice stash right now.