Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happy Strong Women Day




Over on QuiltMavericks (an email list I've been part of for many years), one of our members really needed some extra strength today to deal with a very important (and all too common it turns out) transition in her life, so we decided to declare that today, June 10th is officially -
Strong Women Day, for all those women who are strong, need to be strong, would like to be strong ...


A very fitting poem, one of my favorites:


Phenomenal Woman

by Maya Angelou


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

And a very fitting song/video, "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves" sung by Annie Lennox and Aretha Franklin






Other Mavs who have blogged about this today: Cindy, Margi, Deirdre, Sarah and Leslie

We Stay Strong Together!

5 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

How'd you get that picture of me in my satin tights and all that attitude????? >;)

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Hah! Pirate Anne is a pistol!

Loved the poem and the video..... wonder when it was recorded???? Clicked on it through to YouTube, but no clues.... if recent, Annie Lenox looks amazing..... And Aretha is always awesome....

Rock on!

cheers, Sarah

Leslie said...

Great Stuff, Julie! I chose Maya as an example too.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Anne is totally rocking that headband!

Sarah, the song is from the 80's, not recent, but still very awesome.

Leslie, I saw that you chose Maya also, she sure is a good example of a strong woman.

Margi said...

So very kewl Julie! I love Aretha and Annie. The Rosie panels I have are the original as well. I just might get that tote made one of these days. LOL