Amazingly enough I've actually been free motion machine quilting this week. On some of the tops I'd assembled over the last month. Several are due soon as finished quilts, so I realized I'd better get cracking and crank them out. I found that I was completely out of my favorite fusible batting so I had to use some of the spray adhesive I bought years ago. Wooomama did that ever stink up the whole house. For like several hours. Not a good thing to do on a rainy day where the house has to stay closed up. I felt like one of those hapless teens in an after-school-special about the dangers of huffing glue and paint.
None of my local stores carry the batting either, hmmph. Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Fusible. So I have to buy it online from Hancock's of Paducah. Note to self, must actually do this, not just blog about it!
It had been quite a while since I'd put the feed dogs down and the BigFoot on my machine (the name of the special presser foot you see in the picture) and I had to scare up my quilting gloves (I use the cotton knit garden gloves with the little rubber grippy dots), but then I was back to my old tricks. The challenge with this quilt that I set for myself was to not quilt a single spiral design. Yowza was that ever hard, I am programmed to quilt spirals apparently. Lots and lots of spirals. The design you see me quilting here is pretty much echoing the monoprint pattern in the central black fabric. Basically an infinity sign in a circle. Not too hard to do, but I had to work up to it.
And oooh with these colors I couldn't resist making a kaleidoscope out of this picture!