Friday, February 22, 2008

Living Cornucopia

So my fruit trees are getting infested with this mossy stuff. It started off in the almond tree two years ago, last year it jumped next door to the plum tree and now it is over onto one of the apples. All the trees are close enough to have touching branches.


I'm not sure how to get rid of it. If it is possible or even necessary. I think I need to do some more research on it to find out. But until then I made a rather pretty kaleidoscope image out of it!

A bamboo update, here are the two specimens I planted last summer. They survived the punishing heat and infrequent watering, and are now pretty happy in all the rain. The cold hasn't seemed to bother them much at all either. I hope to see some more growth out of them during the spring. They were planted to be a screen from the road that I can now see from the new bedroom windows so they need to get growing!


This tangle is the view across the street from my driveway. Our neighbor has been taking out pampas grass and other big brushy stuff, and all the smaller natives are growing up big now that they can get to some sunlight. I've noticed some poison oak, wildrose, other vine-y plants along with the dreaded import scotch broom.

And a silly picture of a recently consumed visitor to our home. Cocoanut man. We really didn't think he should be smoking that nail.
Looks like some people I know in the morning, when their hair is wildly askew and their faces are still pillow-smashed.
Let's just say, that along with his other tropical friends banana, papaya and pineapple, he was delicious.


No comments: