Thursday, November 14, 2019

Snagged Thread Print Error


 I was washing my new fabrics and then trimming the thready edges yesterday when I noticed this.  At first I thought it was a misprinted part of the fabric and a thread lying on the top that needed to be trimmed or brushed off.

But then I looked closer and it was a thread coming directly from that spot. 




 This is how the back looks.
You can see that it leads over to the selvedge edge right there like a little almost dotted line.
So either a pulled thread on the existing greige goods when it was going through the printing process, and it essentially acted as a resist. Or maybe a pulled thread from the selvedge somehow pulling out the design? I think it's the first one, because the fabric feels smooth to me, not like there's a thread missing. But then I look at the back and it's clearly something to do with the threads of the fabric themselves.
Who really knows, but it's an oddity, usually the fabrics are pretty darn boring and predictable.
Weird, huh?

1 comment:

Jaye said...

I am confused. Is there a thread? I am understanding that there is a thread and that it was there during the printing?