Friday, August 14, 2026

Put a Bowtie on It


Back to working on the BAMQ BOM, this time we're making a bowtie block. I always put up the blocks I've made so far so that I can check on the print mixture and color balance I've got going already. I decided  I wanted a mostly lighter  overall block (except for the bowties), and a fairly large block this time.

There's so many different ways to do this one, but I chose a fairly large quadruple version. My idea was to have a lot of fabrics in this block, mostly light grey prints in the background, some of which I haven't used yet. And then a mix of the darker almost black prints I've been working with. This was my initial layout.
Here's the final layout I decided on. Too bad the dark prints are getting cut in half triangles to make the bowties, I kind of like this look as squares.

Time to use a specialty ruler, the Simple Folded Corners ruler.  I put little sticky bookmarks for the edge lines I'm aiming for.

I chose the No-Trim version instead of the Oversize and Trim version. I like doing it this way, no line drawing or extra trimming required.
Did I sew together that teeny tiny HST™ as well as the folded corner? 
I bet you already knew the answer to that one! There can never be too many teeny tiny HST™s!
All the parts ready to assemble.
And there it is, a quadruple bow-tie block with 15 different prints.
The new block fits in really nicely I think. This is going to be an interesting quilt to try and put together.
 

No comments: