Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Painted Silk ATC's

Here's the story on my ATC's for the CQFA meeting.
 I started out with this cream colored luscious piece of textured silk-blend snagged from FabMo.
 Using my Tsukineko ink brushes I highlighted the ridges with red.
 And then dotted the whole thing with blue. Blending the two colors with a wet brush, the inks combined with the crinkled texture acting as a mild sort of resist.
Keeping in mind that when it dries, it won't be as dark or intense, while it was still wet I added more color with Inktense watercolor blocks and then wet brushed the additional pigment to blend.
 Here's how it looks after it had time to dry and was heat-set with my iron.
 Measuring and cutting the 2.5x3.5" ATC's out of the stitched piece.

 I did some minimal quilting on each ATC, I didn't want to smash down that wonderful crinkled texture.
 Closeups of each one. I used striped washi tape which I machine embroidered either a 2 or a 5 depending on how many lines of quilting were in the ATC.
 Then I added a small piece of pink dyed wool roving, held down under some paper lace that I stitched down.
 I stitched around the edges and then zig-zagged once also.

I was really pleased with how these ATC's turned out this time and I was happy to have something to trade at the CQFA meeting. More on that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Thanks for posting about your process! Yay for Tsukineko inks!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

You're welcome! And thanks for getting the inks way-back-when for me to use!