Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Wandering Wednesday - Walls in Stirling Castle


Time for another Shelter In Place Wandering Wednesday, this time from our trip to Scotland. These are pictures of some of the many walls of Stirling Castle. It started out as a lovely day. And then the clouds moved in, that's pretty much Scotland for you, that's how it's so very very green.
An interior wall.


This shows the clever use of a sheer cliff as a wall. They really built right to the very edge.
I loved the wildflowers growing in all the crevices of the walls. Sort of softens it a bit.
A rather mysterious circle in a wall. Formerly a window or lookout?
The variation in the stones is so interesting here. 

 I really love seeing how the regular stacking of the rocks has to shift to form an archway..
Ravens or crows? Not sure, but I do remember they were quite loud.



So many walls.
Up on the very top of the outer wall, I set my camera down to capture the stone as the foreground of a  sort of compound landscape. I like the drops of water on the blades of grass.
And then I noticed this guy, blending in so well I'd almost put my hand right on him. 
The Slugs of Sterling Castle.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

The way the stones fit together is amazing as well.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It really is impressive, thinking of how much time that must have taken to correctly fit all the stones together. The ultimate jigsaw puzzle right?