Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Arrival of Azathoth

 We just went to the pet store to get some new fish for my little tank.  But this guy came home with us too.  Alex had been wanting a rat or something, but I'm sorry, I know rats are smart and can be great pets, but no we have enough of those around already.  So how about Syrian teddy bear hamster?  I'll be honest my biggest concern was how long he's going to be around, since Alex will be going off to college next year.  I told him I didn't want to be looking after his hamster for the next 10 years.  He plans to bring Azathoth to live with him.  What do you think, can a hamster survive living in a college dorm? I guess if parakeets and newts worked, why not?
 Alex read a lot of H.P. Lovecraft this summer, and liked all the names in the Cthulhu stories, so he ended up choosing to call him Azathoth.  Prince of Chaos. Hopefully calling him this won't summon him or anything, not sure I could deal with having one of the Outer Gods as a houseguest.
He's certainly an active little guy, and is fun to play with.  So far so good, as the cats are only mildly interested.

2 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

we had two females that appeared to be healthy..a month later one escaped, we think, to the great outdoors and the jaws of Mighty Moses the cat. The other one played it safe for another month..then she too escaped the escape proof cage. They are HOUDINIS..don't take your eyes off it for a second!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

We had one years ago that escaped, I used to see him, doing pullups on the side of the dog water bowl. Never was able to catch him though, who knows where he ended up. We've got the doors of the cage locked up tight so hopefully he won't pull a Houdini!