Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Am The Lorax

Have you ever read "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss?  It's one of our family's all-time favorite Seuss books.  We also had the animated movie as well which is as good as The Grinch in my opinion.  Anyways, I was really excited to see this panel in my local quilt shop, Sue Dee's.  I bought it with the thought of making a pillowcase for my son Zach since he's leaning towards environmental studies in college.  The Lorax speaks for the trees (and the environment in general).
Mostly I was just glad to see this book highlighted in fabric like this.  No doubt because of the recent big-screen movie adaptation (haven't seen it).  But I was really glad that the original illustrations were used.  There's something about them, the clean lines, not overly detailed, and surreal as all get out.  I've always got a weak-spot for surrealism...  And the use of text and font and word placement to help communicate the story.
So, no I haven't made the pillowcase quite yet.  I may combine it with the squids will be squids fabric since it's the same brown/orange/blue color scheme.  Hmmm, I wonder if any of my nieces like the Lorax, I'd better find that out...

No comments: