This ring of journal cover samples was irresistible, the shape, the colors, the textures. Unfortunately there is printing covering a lot of the surface, and the reverse side is uninteresting.
Several of these neutral wovens were appealing, some are wool, some linen and/or cotton. I plan to use them in dyeing and painting somehow. But one of them made it into this project uncolored.
I chose these tiles because of how they felt when I touched them in the bin of tile samples. They also reminded me of buttons.
First I glued down three of the tile buttons along one edge. That solved the hole in the wrong place problem!
Next I glued down some of the mesh-looking fabric, I made sure it was very frayed just because I like how that looks.
I found a sentence I liked out of a book and glued it to one of the journal cover sample shapes. Deciding which end is up was a little hard.
Here's how all three ended up once I was done.
I decided there needed to be one other fabric involved, so I chose this gold/red woven silk/rayon. I wanted to have mostly the same materials on each one, but with enough of a difference to make it interesting. The journal cover sample shape and size was not too easy to work with compared with the shape and size of the wood piece. So I ended up cutting them up for the other two pieces. I'm not sure that I like how the words look on this one compared to the other two. I may cover them up like this one below:
I photographed these on a background of the red/gold fabric, just because I liked how the colors all looked together.