Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Owl Extension

 As par of the re-starting I got in some good old-fashioned wardrobe refashioning! But this time for my niece, Ilaria. When I'd been visiting, my sister-in-law, Carolyn passed me this knit shirt I'd gotten for Ilaria a few years ago. She'd outgrown it and still wanted to wear it. She still loves owls (and this embroidered/embellished design was too cute to just pass away.)

Challenge accepted...
I found a similarly colored t-shirt dress in her newer big-girl size. It was hard to find the exact shade of pinks but it's close enough I think.
  
I wanted to keep the ruffle at first, but I didn't think it went well enough with the style of the new garment.
I cut the main design and some extra background out of the original garment in a rough oval and then evened it up. I didn't want too much of the background pink.

I stitched it on with a lightweight stabilizer on the back with one of the overcast knit stitches on my machine. I even remembered to change my needle to a knit and then back again before trying to sew woven cotton.
I think it turned out pretty well and I hope she enjoys wearing the owl for a little longer.

No comments: