Monday, May 27, 2013

Pigeon Point Lighthouse

Pigeon Point Lighthouse, on the California Highway 1 about 50 miles south of San Francisco.
It was a beautiful windy and sunny day when we were there.
I want to go back and stay at the hostel which is right on the edge of the cliff overlooking the Pacific.

 The lighthouse Fresnel Lens was out for cleaning and repair so we were lucky enough to get to see it up close and personal.
 As you can see, I was fascinated by all 108 of the lenses, their shapes fitted so perfectly,
 the repetition of the shapes,
 lined up and stacked. Color upon color.
 The top looks like a crazy-beautiful spaceship.
 My favorite were all the rainbows thrown around the room, I didn't want to leave!
 Closeup of the window high-up on the lighthouse.
 The lighthouse tower and a chimney in the foreground, where the smoke came up as they burned wood all night to power the steam driven light.
I know, don't look at the sun, but sometimes I can't resist when it's like this.

No comments: