Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Thrifty & Not

I was at one of the local thrift stores last week and found only two things that needed to come home with me. One was this Singer Sewing Skills book from 1959. I like how it has an "OLD" label on it. I'm always looking for more resources to improve my sewing skills, especially some of the dressmaking/clothing constructions ones I kind of ignored in Home Ec. back in high school (oops). Back then I was just thrilled to have completed a simple wrap skirt. And honestly I've progressed a bit from that, but not really all that much. I would definitely tell my high school self to pay attention and ask more questions..
Another thing was this gizmo called a mirror hanger. It is a satin cord with a thread-medallion/tassle and I actually have a mirror to hang with it, so I hope it works! If not look for it on a quilt or something...
The not so thrifty part of this post is this comparatively meager (compared to how I used to spend spend spend on fabric) order from Hancock's of Paducah. I like to buy my Hobbs 80/20 batting from them, because I can't find it locally, but especially when they have a free shipping promotion.
I bought this snarky fabric called "Housework Whenever! Rebelling Housewives" (by In The Beginning) because it just cracked me up! I only could find it at equilter in a different color . I don't know what I'll make with it, but it has done its little ol' job and made me laugh. "When I learned how to sew, I forgot how to cook!" or "If I sit here long enough maybe they will fix their own dinner!" or "A Clean House Is the Sign of a Broken Sewing Machine". I now have quite the collection of snarky fabric, maybe I need to make a Quilt O' Snark...
And of course I needed needles and rotary blades to add to the precious hoarded stash of supplies and to push the total over the amount needed to get to FREE shipping. Yes, it works out a bit cheaper, one must pay attention to that!

5 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

The old sewing books are the best---I have several. And they are the only ones I used. Learned a lot about tailoring and other items not covered in new books. You got a bargain! Also, with the mirror hanger, make sure the cords are still stable. I have a very old one.
Great finds!!!

Unknown said...

Old cookbooks are always a fun read too if for nothing more than all the fattening ingredients.

But who taught Home Ec. at Saratoga and where was it? I don't remember them even having a kitchen there outside of the cafeteria.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Anne, I don't know if it was a bargain as the original price was .98 and I paid $3!!
Dave, old cookbooks are fun and gardening ones too (I have my grandma's old Sunset).
Hmm, I don't remember who the teacher was, but the class was just sewing, no cooking. The classroom was right at the front of the school before the admin offices. I think you're right there wasn't a kitchen at SHS, but there was at Redwood Jr.Hi.

Unknown said...

Wow, my memory must really be fading. I thought that's where the biology classroom and garden was.

Jaye said...

I definitely think a Quilt O' Snark is in your future! It sounds like something that would come out of your studio! I think you should try to get permission to print the lady from the sewing book with her skinny Minnie waist and perfect hair on the quilt!