Thursday, September 10, 2009

All Things Wild



"...in Wildness is the preservation of the World." ~ Henry David Thoreau

I was just reading the September Paste Magazine this morning and they had a great article on one of my favorite children's books ever "Where the Wild Things Are" and the upcoming movie based on it. It is really worth reading this essay, and once Paste has the September issue up online, I hope it will be available.
I remember reading this book to my little brother (over and over again) and making him laugh and be scared of my scary wild things monster voices. And then of course, reading it to my boys and getting the same reactions. And more recently seeing my older son read it to his little brother and doing the same voices. Such a classic, such a story, so simple (10 sentences, 338 words), but with such deep meaning.
From that article I found out that there is an amazing, must-see collection of Wild Thing inspired artwork on Terrible Yellow Eyes curated by Cory Godbey. Very inspiring, makes me want to go make a Wild Thing piece...

Including a totally excellent make-it-yourself-paper-Max by Marshall Alexander.

I can't wait to see the movie version, it comes out on October 16th. Over on the movie's website you can watch two trailers and a featurette that has an interview with Maurice Sendak about seeing his book turn into a movie. By the way, the song in the featurette is "Wake Up"from a great indie rock band from Montreal called Arcade Fire which my older teenager is really into, they have a lot of people, and play interesting non-traditional-for-a-rock-band instruments. I recommend them if you like offbeat, complex and intense music (ie this isn't e-z listening...)
There will be a novelization of the movie by Dave Eggers, and the special edition features a furry cover. See that makes this post kinda-sorta Fiber Related (hooray!)

And if you haven't read the book in a while, you can watch and hear President Obama read it to you here:





2 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Loved that book when I was little---used to have it but long gone now.
Living in the country, I have decided I certainly AM "where the wild thing are", especially when I was scrubbing down the porch....LOL!!!!!

XXOO!!!
Anne

Darling Petunia said...

The Obama video is too funny! He wouldn't make it at the library!