Tuesday, August 11, 2009

R.I.P. Studio Moth

When I came across this big moth, there by the lamp in my workroom, I was so hopeful that it was still alive. Maybe just resting, or napping after a long night of bashing into light fixtures. But alas, no.

Death has arrived for Mr. or Ms. Moth.

But first I had to take a picture. The wavy stripes, the soft texture, the sheen of the wings, the colors you don't ever notice when they are flying around outdoors near the porchlight, all there on display once the creature has died.

No more frantic flying and motion to blur the details.

This insight made me ask myself: "What are you missing by not slowing down to notice?"

R.I.P. Studio Moth, now buried in my rose planter.

1 comment:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love moths. The y have the most exquisite patterning on their wings---the design, the luster, the softness.
When they get in the house (frequently, and I don't know how) it is always a merry chase for me to gently catch them and send them back outside.
Except for the larger ones I find dead, and I keep them for art purposes.
This house is some sort of museum.....
We miss a lot by not slowing down.
Great post!