Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sweet Peas & Me

I had to pull out an entire garbage can full of wild sweet peas. They were taking over the front yard and smothering all my rosemary and lavender plants. Very enthusiastic! Is it a weed though?
It grows where it isn't wanted, doesn't require watering, comes in year after year reliably, and is hard to get rid of entirely.
I couldn't bear to just throw away the flowers though, so I gathered them all off of the vines and put them in a vase.
They don't have a smell really, not like those super fragrant ones that I try to grow on purpose. These hellions are made to reproduce, big time, and that's it. But they are still pretty to look at, even if one is not a bee.
I was trying to take a picture of the vase because I liked how the stems looked in the curved glass. And hey, there I am!




3 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I envy you these! I had some here, but our winters occasionally wipe them out. They used to be found along roadsides and in old cemetaries, but the use of herbicides and the unreasonable *need* of men to mow everything has left nothing but coarse grass and ppoison ivy.
Trust me, you're lucky! So beautiful!

jovaliquilts said...

Those are gorgeous! We have prairie plants here, weeds by most accounts, but they are sure nice when they bloom. But when you try to get rid of them, they keep coming back. I suspect your sweet peas will, too.

Jaye said...

Love LOVE LOVE the picture of you.