Thursday, December 04, 2008

Passion Flower Fascination

Hey, the passion flower I planted a year ago actually bloomed! Just this past week in fact. Luckily it happened to be sunny, so I got some great pictures. The structure of this flower is so fascinating, it is all so out there, nothing hidden, all parts on display. How do you like that hook on the end of the petal on the right? Kinda scary looking really.I have to admit that this plant was frustrating me, it just grew and grew, more and more vines and leaves and no flowers, so finally, the reward that was worth waiting for. I can see why people collect these plants there are sooooo many unusual shapes and colors combinations available. I wonder if this one will bear fruit and if it will be tasty?
The depth of this flower is more than two inches, there are so many structures layered one upon the other. Apparently the name refers to symbolism in the Christian Passion story.
The veins and vines are beautifully shaped, and curved. I find the subtle transition of colors to be a wonder.Accidental self portrait! I was holding the camera behind the flower to get the details, and oops, there I am. I actually quite like this picture though.

When I was looking up information for this post I came across this really cool thing called PassionWorks, go check it out if you aren't in an area where you can grow this plant or like yard art made out of recycled metal.

1 comment:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a beautiful flower. I have a purple one, but I haven't had much luck with photographing it - I'll have to play with my digital camera some more. :)