So here is the recipe, because it was really really yummy and I'm sure I'll be making it again.
Skordozoumi (Greek Garlic Soup)
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 head of garlic (the whole thing, yup)
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese
- 1 Cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 slices of rustic bread for croutons
- Black Pepper
- In a medium sauce pan bring oil and water to a boil.
- Separate, peel and slice thin the head of garlic. Add to pan, simmer for 10 minutes
- Let cool down a bit, so no longer boiling then add yogurt and cheese. *Do not allow to boil*
- Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let stand 1-2 minutes, beat two eggs until frothy, add to pan, stir in.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend with hand blender or food processor to smooth.
- Serve while warm with rustic bread croutons, rolls or pita
It isn't the most exciting looking soup, but the taste is very rich and complex.
Turns out this is probably not Greek in origin, although the name is, but from Sephardic Jews.