Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Skordozoumi

I think I mentioned my excitement at perhaps making garlic soup, as our CSA gave us a recipe with a whole bunch of garlic. I finally managed to have all of the ingredients on hand on a day when it wasn't ninetybazillion degrees in the kitchen and who the heck wants soup when it is hot anyways?

So here is the recipe, because it was really really yummy and I'm sure I'll be making it again.

Skordozoumi (Greek Garlic Soup)
  • 3 Cups Water
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 head of garlic (the whole thing, yup)
  • 1/4 lb. feta cheese
  • 1 Cup plain yogurt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2-4 slices of rustic bread for croutons
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper

  1. In a medium sauce pan bring oil and water to a boil.
  2. Separate, peel and slice thin the head of garlic. Add to pan, simmer for 10 minutes
  3. Let cool down a bit, so no longer boiling then add yogurt and cheese. *Do not allow to boil*
  4. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat, let stand 1-2 minutes, beat two eggs until frothy, add to pan, stir in.
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Blend with hand blender or food processor to smooth.
  8. Serve while warm with rustic bread croutons, rolls or pita

It isn't the most exciting looking soup, but the taste is very rich and complex.
Turns out this is probably not Greek in origin, although the name is, but from Sephardic Jews.

2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I have another one of Joyce Goldstein's cookbooks and this one is on my wish list! I was just thinking how fabulous that soup sounded, and I'm delighted to have this indirect recommendation of that cookbook. Thanks for sharing!

Laume said...

I really want to remember to try this soup, it sounds wonderful.