Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Futons Need Covers

I finally finished up the futon cover that I have been making for the last year. It sat mostly finished for months, taking up a bunch of room in my sewing area, and generally pissing me off by its un-done-ness.
"All" that I needed to do was
  • put it on the futon
  • determine how much of an overlap I'd left myself for the closure in actuality as opposed to my measurements (which are always always always off)
  • take it off the futon
  • put in the closure
  • and then put the cover back on the futon.

Oh yeah, that's why I put it off, the wrestling with a queen sized futon bit. The way my arms have been lately, as well as my energy level, I just honestly wasn't up for it. So I picked a day that my husband was home. We've been wrestling with futon covers for most of our time together, so we're quite a team. He did most of the heavy lifting, wrassling part. And then lickety split I got that velcro closure in. The failure of the last purchased cover was the gigantic zipper. It basically just broke, like the teeth fell out in one part. So I thought I'd innovate and use an enormous swath of tan velcro along one end. It worked out well, and I like how it looks. Plus it is nice to have in the living room, instead of the uncovered look.

I bought the fabric at Hart's Fabric in Santa Cruz in the upholstery remnant section, it was a steal if I recall at like 60% off, about $50. Way cheaper than buying a nice futon cover, not counting all the extra futon wrangling that went on. It is a really heavyweight fabric, and I used upholstery thread with a bigger eye needle in the machine to make it through all the layers. There is some left over, so perhaps some pillow will be happening...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That fabric would be perfect for a Linda Taylor type quilt. Glad you got the cover finished - I have several Pissing-me-off-because-they're-there-projects and I really need to DO THEM!

Maybe you will be the inspiration I need.
:-D eirdre

Laume said...

Pretty fabric. And I'm so there with the fear of futon wrestling. I bought fabric to make loose slipcovers (nothing fancy or fitted, just big shapes to tuck in, really) for all my living room furniture. Great idea. I never got past buying the fabric and just sort of tucking it in best I can in it's uncut and unfinished shape. It annoys me that I don't finish the task, but the idea of all that wrestling - sigh.

Jaye said...

You are an inspiration to all of us! All of this finishing of projects. I'll have to take a lesson! Nice work.