Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Shirt Re-fashioned



Finally getting around to some Wardrobe Refashioning. This is an old trade-show uniform shirt from my husband. Luckily I have about the same shoulder width as him, so it fits really nicely. BUT, it was a kind of icky dirty looking off-white, so I overydyed it. Now to make it wearable for me, I needed to cover up the defunct company names embroidered on either side of the front! My first thought was to just add some patches from my ever-growing, hardly-ever-used collection. But none of them struck my fancy or were the right color combo or size.

Then my eyes landed upon an open box of fabric, with the perfect solution sitting right on top. You can buy it here Las Caritas: over sized crazyvibrant mexican paper mache' mask faces. The background of the fabric was a great blending-in blue color too, which was a nice bonus. So after some fussy cutting, I steam-a-seamed (an iron-on fusible)these little faces on the front and the back of the shirt. I haven't stitched around the edges and am going to test out how well the steam-a-seam works as far as washability goes..Hope they stay on and don't fray at the edge.
And a pig face on my hip just to state the obvious!

2 comments:

Donna said...

great re-fashioning job -- if you hadn't said, I'd never have known :-)

momma helen said...

Hey! Would you like even more patches? Last summer I sort of accidentally bought about 2,000 patches instead of 200.

If you e-mail me your snail mail address, I'm happy to send you a selection from my stash.

(ps-Thanks for the bullseye info- Quilt Pixie and I are in the middle of one right now!)