Saturday, June 09, 2007

This Year is almost over

By that I mean the end of the school year.
And when that happens, you know that the end of the school year craziness is going on!
The usual whirlwind of class parties, field trips, last-minute school projects, dances, etc.
Oldest son, Zach is graduating from middle school! Yahoo, on to high school for him!
And youngest son, Alex is off to science camp for the final week of school. Weird, huh? He decided he finally wanted to cut his hair to "freak people out on the last day". Which worked quite well! So I cut it for him. Yes that is the same young man, hard to believe, huh?!

The quail are making crazy, ill-advised maneuvers these days. This family literally jumped out in front of me on our street, mom, dad and all the little bitty babies scootling around and then hiding in the bush on the left. Luckily I was paying attention and didn't smash them all. And I had my camera handy to get this picture. Click on it so you can see the teeny babies.

I've taken Joanna up on her Green Smoothie Challenge for June. Thirty days of drinking 32oz. of a green smoothie, inspired Victoria Boutenko's Green For Life book (which I just bought yesterday).
Here is one of the first ones I've enjoyed. It is worth drinking just to experience this green colour in person! Wow! I need to figure out how to dye this exact shade. Electric, vibrant and oh so very tasty. This was made of half a bunch of spinach, 3 leaves of kale, 3 leaves of chard, 1 banana, 1 cup frozen peaches, some water and 1T agave, 2T of FlaxSeed Oil. Yummy, and I'm so full, I can't snack or anything. I'm not planning on turning into a raw food advocate, don't worry. But I have been trying to figure out how to eat more dark, leafy greens and this is working for me. I do have to share what I blend up with Alex, he loves these!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OHmygosh . . . what great photos, both of Alex before and after -- and of the green smoothies!! yea!!! Go Julie!!

Unknown said...

I will have to try that drink. my son will probably love it too. thanks for posting the ingredients. don't think I will go all raw either but I would like to do more, especially good for the summer. And that is a lovely color ^_^

Anonymous said...

Im so glad to hear you used NORMAL stuff in your GREEN DRINK -not like the green grass stuff that smells like lawn.

Alex - I AM STUNNED! You look so different - but I want to know what your friends/teachers thought!

Kristen said...

i love the pictures of Alex!! amazing! i'm with deirdre - what did everyone think? and how long did it take you to use the right amount of shampoo? *smile*

and i'm anxious to hear how the green drink goes. i don't really like chard, kale, or spinach...well, i like them sort of...but i DO like bananas and peaches. can you use honey instead of agave?