Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Stamp Carving

I wanted to show off a really fun stamp that I just carved on Monday. It is made out of white eraser material, MasterCarve by Staedtler. As it says on the label, it "carves like butter". Almost too easily carved, as I found out. Way way way easier than lino blocks. I drew the design on freehand with pencil, design was inspired vaguely by a dress fabric pattern in the JC Penney's ad I was using to catch the mess. I think it looks a little like a batik stamp.

This shows the stamp being used in a collage, inked in green, and then highlighted with gold pen, several crayon colors over the top.
I was really happy with how this turned out, as I was only using the x-acto knife I could find, not my usual setup of special carving tools (they are of course in storage!). So if you are the least bit interested in stamping, give this a try, it is fun to make your own.


martha said...

Nice stamp! Great way to make collage elements and series!

Karoda said...

Cool stamp, cool collage! And thanks for the review of the Gnarls Barkley cd. I wondered what the rest of the group's music was like.