Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Angry Moon


For Poetry Thursday, I went to a very fun to use and inspiring website called Erasures.


You get a hundred to two hundred word snip of text to erase word by word to make a poem. Fun, go try it!


I like to do this in real-life in altered books (part of the fun of doing art in a book is utilizing the text as part of the artwork), usually by circling words with pencil to make a poem and then painting around them, so only they show.


So here is the poem I came up with was as follows:


The Angry Moon

by Julie Zaccone Stiller


the Moon met

us, and

she was angry, for

all not openly.

for the moonlight is beautiful.

observe the days all

correctly,

the gods are constantly threatening,

sacrificing, inflicting litigating.

observing

pouring

and laughing.

this year

deprived gods crown; for thus

will know better ought to spend the days of

life according to the Moon.


You can see how it looks, with strange spacing, lines, punctuation etc. over here. Different feel isn't it?

7 comments:

Karoda said...

I did one but I can tell it is one of those things I could spend endless minutes to hours entertaining myself with :)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Something else to do.

Love how the poem seems organic, when it came to be from deleting other words.

wendy said...

This is oh so intresting.. Hummm and oh...and I think I must tryit too.

Thanks for sharing.

gautami tripathy said...

I once wrote a poem deleting words from newspaper. It does take you places.

I liked this too. The moon thing!

gautami
Parallel Streams

Crafty Green Poet said...

Erasure poems are great fun, especially in altered books. I like what you've done with this one...

Clockworkchris said...

This was a new concept for me and your poem turned out so beautiful. I am definetly going to try one of these and see what I get for fun.

Anonymous said...

The creativity of human nature knows no boundaries. What a fascinating way to tempt the soul to speak.

Your poem is powerful - especially with the original strange spacing.

Thanks!
Julie in Virginia who clicked over here from Joanna's :)