Friday, February 24, 2006

Chunky Books and Georgia O'Keeffe

Chunky Books are all the rage now. Generally the size is 4"x 4". Pages are swapped around, and then assembled by each artist in whatever way they choose.

Here is a fabric page that I just did for a swap of Georgia O'Keeffe inspired chunky book pages on Habiliments.

That is a printed picture on silk of a small portion of my most favorite Georgia O'Keefe painting "Sky Above Clouds II" (1963, 48"hx83"w). Those are my hand-dyed cottons, and I stitched fringe-ily around the edge with sashiko cotton thread.

Ages ago (back in 2000), I did a quilt interpreting this painting for a new age, mine called "Clouds Above Smoggy Sky". It now hangs in my brother's house where it looks fabulous against the terracotta painted wall.

I almost included this class poem about O'Keeffe, by the editors of the school yearbook of Chatham Episcopal Institute, a boarding school she attended inVirginia.
"A girl who would be different in
habit, style, and dress,
A girl who doesn't give a cent for
men- and boys still less.

O is for O'Keeffe, an artist divine;
Her paintings are perfect and her drawings
are fine."

They sure had her pegged way back in high school! A woman who had given her heart completely over to art. Thank goodness she was able to continue in the arts so that we have her artworks to inspire and move us even now.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love this concept. Beautiful piece and great links too. Jen